25 April 2007

In brief.

1. I live in a place called Casa Internacional. It's like a hostel meets a house. 2 Guatemalan university students, 2 Spanish Teachers, 1 Girlfriend of Spanish Teacher who's a tour guide, 2 foreign volunteers, plus me and my roommate...ie I a friend of mine who wants to have a room just in case....even though in the past two and a half weeks since I've moved she hasn't stayed in the room once.
1b. Casa Internacional is dirty as hell, and I've managed to only shower once (showering at friends' houses are better), but it's an endearing place.
1c. I think courtyards are awesome.
1d. We have two crazy cats. They're pretty scared of people, but one of them finally let me pet her last night.

2. I work at TRAMA, a weaving association/cooperative of mostly indigenous women in the western highlands of Guatemala. I work 9-5 there Monday through Friday, although I leave a little earlier on Mondays and Wednesdays, because I work as a barista/waitress at a cafe called El Cuartito. Although at TRAMA we are currently redoing everything on it and it's quite out of the date, including the catalog, the website can be checked out to get a general sense of who the organization is. The link is right here. My work at TRAMA is hard to explain, and I will go through it more later, but it's certainly challenging and interesting.

3. I managed to get rid of my unwanted Guatemalan suitor. Woohoo.

4. I'm still very siked on being here, although I am worried about the coming rainy season.

5. I may have forgotten what it's like to have normal bowel movements.

6. I still can't get over how unbelievably fresh, tasty, and cheap produce is here.

7. I need to get better at writing entries again.

w00t.

1 comment:

Kiera said...

hey lady, loved the numbered post! I feel like now I have a concrete way of imagining Lindsey in guatemala. So what dates are you there n stuff?? A visit sounds very very awesome...(but of course there's the plane ticket buying thing. And if I get into this journalism program in london, that's an expensive-ass 6 weeks. so we'll see).

Go here to see pics of me naked in a cage in virtual reality (and our way rough draft artist statement): https://wiki.brown.edu/confluence/display/MarkTribe/OSMOSA

miss you lots!