21 March 2008

Hark the herald bike lanes sing..

Glory to my newfound wings.

In other words, I finally have a bicycle (hooray!). Said bicycle is a very old very beat up carnation pink Oxford women's bicycle. It also has a bell which I am not ballsy enough to use at people. Anyways, to cut to the chase, I am a much happier camper now that I have this bike, because it enables me to get to the "faraway" campus where I have some of my classes.

To get to the campus one must take a bus, which, depending on the traffic, can be anywhere between 22 and 35 minutes, give or take. Walking to the bus stop takes another 10 minutes both getting to and from the bus for a stop, and waiting for the bus is also an adventure, because it means another 5-30 minute wait. It also costs money. In contrast, I get on my bicycle at my door, and I arrive to the building where I am going for class without fail in 25-35 minutes tops. And there are bike lanes for most of my ride (only about 12 blocks or so without). Yay. Also at this campus, Juan Gomez Millas, they have bike racks indoors for one of the departments, and at the entry to the campus there is a manned bike rack where they have a guard and you register your bike when you leave it there. Awesome.

Hooray for bicycles (but not hooray for malfunctioning bike locks).

No comments: