31 March 2007

Holy crap.

I think the title about sums it up. The only words I can say about the past two weeks...are...holy crap! I don´t know if it´s possible in any way to convey how much has changed for me in the past week about being here, but changed in good ways!

Here´s a quick rundown:
...I changed schools (INFINITELY better, and apparently the other school is kind of in a crisis right now anyways. At this school, Juan Sisay, I had to take tests at the beginning of the week to assess my level..which is advanced, who knew? And my teacher is SO much better. He really understands grammar..I mean...really understands grammar. And so we´re going over select parts of grammar on a deeper level, not just passing over the vague version of all the stuff that I´ve learned before, like I was doing at my old school.)
...I changed families (SO MUCH BETTER. The food is great. She cooks with TVP and soy and all of this great stuff, too!)
...I´ve started hanging out with people that speak Spanish instead of English. (woohoo)
...I started working at a cafe (It´s crazy...I work for 8 quetzals an hour plus tips....so en total about 12 quetzals an hour...ie $1.50. It puts into perspective a lot about working and money for me.)
...I started getting hit on a lot (no tengo ningún idea porque ahora si y antes no).
...I started looking for an apartment with a friend I met here.
...I realized I´ve been here for over a month!
...Semana Santa is coming up, which means a crazy week for everyone. (More on this one later. Get siked)
...I was told I don´t have a gringa accent (though, of course, I don´t have a Latin accent either, but hey, not gringa is good!).
...I got my first bad sunburn...only on my face (consequently, every night the favorite joke was to ask if I was drunk because my face was so red..).
...I had my first realization that I wish I could stay longer.


Okay, so that about sums it up for now. Time to go eat lunch!

hasta luego!

1 comment:

Jeremy Ashkenas said...

Hey Lindey. Todos los cambios parecen maravillosos. Por favor, nos escriba un cuentito sobre la semana santa en cuanto pase. Viviendo asi, en Providence, nuestra mejor dia de fiesta es April Fools. Que aprecies tus fiestas cuando las tengas.