17 March 2007

Too much english.

So, in the past week my life here has seen a signifcant change in the volume of English spoken, which is ultimately not a good thing. I finally went to EntreMundos, the clearinghouse organization of international volunteers, to poke around and look at the volunteer job offerings. There is a woman´s weaving cooperative called Trama that is looking for a new volunteer coordinator, and that is a possibility. However, I haven´t been able to get a hold of the girl doing that job now to figure out what sort of timeline they´re looking for.

The other organization that I was interested in (and am now perplexed by) is this organization called Union de Trabajadores Quetzaletco (UTQ - Quetzaltenangoan Workers Union, more or less). They are an everything but the kitchen sink sort of organization consisting of unions, a school sort of, a clinic sort of, general organizing, sort of a broader union, and I´m not quite sure what else. But, according to the description they were looking for an intern to help with a bunch of different things, including research and help getting their newsletter back off the ground again. When I went to talk to the man, Oswaldo, it was painfully clear to me that there was no defined role of volunteers and everything was helter skelter. The main thing that they´re looking for is more funding, but for which programs or projects in particular I´m not yet sure. There were two other volunteers there when I arrived (one of whom left today) that Oswaldo wanted me to talk to, so I didn´t get the chance to talk for as long as I wanted to with him or his assistant, Rosaria.

I decided to definitely take this coming week off from classes, so I plan on going into UTQ during the mornings for this week, to try and get a feel of if I would like to work there longer term. Then, hopefully, in the afternoon(s) I can go to Trama. I may change schools, too, for the next week, I´m not really sure. And, I´m considering living in a different living situation as well, so a lot of possible changes coming up...we´ll see!

Hasta luego.

1 comment:

Renée said...

Not to worry; things will work out. I hope you're completely recovered from your traveler's sickness!

Also, I've added a link to your blog to the list of links at the bottom of mine :O)

<3 R