27 April 2008

Da' club.

Up to this current juncture, I had only ever considered the following elements as interrelated within a family wedding context:

-Lindsey
-dancing
-middle-aged men
-80's and 90's music played not ironically
-getting hip-checked by 40+ year old women

Ha. Well, fear not, my experience at "Da' club" (not actually named as such) changed that all. One fateful Saturday night, four young women, including myself, unwittingly payed an over priced cover (even after trying to bargain it down) to get into a bar-discoteque located very close to my house. Turns out that club is the middle-aged dance scene hotspot. Uh, sweet? It was rather humorous, especially when one of the four of us got whisked away to dance which left the defense formation a little weak. So, on to middle-age slow dancing for all it was. It might have actually been "Stairway to Heaven", come to think of it. Anyways, fun: In that awkward 7th grade dance but with unattractive older men sort of way. Oh, and you know, in Spanish with blaring 80's hits in the background making all conversation virtually unintelligible.

So, that unto itself makes me laugh, but it also speaks to the general question mark that punctuates my daily life here: What the hell is everyone's obssession with 80's and mid 90's US-British music? (File that under things that were unsuspected prior to arrival in Chile) I wish I could say I were joking, but I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Morrissey or The Cure from time to time, but the complete barage of 80's music in nearly every club, bar, or house party, results in a rather bewildered, slightly-amused, but increasingly-less-amused Lindsey in Chile. But mostly bewildered.

No comments: